Thursday, November 18, 2010

Should I follow Toyota's service schedule or just follow a rule of thumb when it comes to maintenance?

2005 Toyota Highlander



I really don't feel like paying alot for the dealer to %26quot;inspect%26quot; things on my car although Toyota's service schedule recommends it.



Someone on a Toyota forum told me this, what do you think?



If you intend on just draining and filling your fluids you should do your transmission fluid and engine coolant at 30k. If you intend on flushing those systems you can wait until you reach 45k, at that point I would do trans fluid, engine coolant, power steering fluid and brake fluid. How I recommend to my customers to maintain their vehicle is 5k oil changes and tire rotations, 15k along with the aforementioned do a wheel balance and alignment, between 15k-20k change your cabin filter and engine air filter (depending on where you live, i.e. dust, a lot of pollen, etc. 30k-45k recommend engine coolant and trans fluid, as well as brake fluid and power steering fluid closer at 45k. Between 45k-60k I would do your front and rear differential fluid if you have 4wd/awd and maybe a fuel injection cleaning. At 60k-90k I recommend plugs, plug wires, PCV valve (at least check it). At 90k I recommend (depending on the car, year) timing belt, water pump, cam/crank seals, accessory drive belts (serpentine drive belts) if they haven't been changed recently since you have to remove them to do timing belt, etc. That's maintenance.



Repairs such as brake pads, new tires, drive belts, etc are as needed.Should I follow Toyota%26039;s service schedule or just follow a rule of thumb when it comes to maintenance?
Nice vehicle, if you do the maintenance suggested, it will last and last.



The vehicle is getting older.... if it doesnt have any warranty, follow the schedule but dont get dealers to do it because yes, they are way more money, especially toyota... find a good independent mechanic.. small guy.. who knows toyotas.... it will cost you half...



I always maintain my vehicles according to maintenance schedules and they last.. my honda is ten years old, going on 11.. its like new..d drives like new... looks amazing... no worries and I follow hondas recommended plan.. but I have taken it to an independent guy for the last six years.... and it costs little compared to the dealer....



Oil... always change at 5000k..... its the blood of the vehicleShould I follow Toyota%26039;s service schedule or just follow a rule of thumb when it comes to maintenance?
sounds good i don't think you missed alot of stuff if any. usually as long as you keep up with the oil changes and regular stuff that pops up your toyota is going over 200,000 thousand miles with no strain and a good chance into the 300's. do you have a warranty left? that is gonna void the warranty if you awol the service on it.Should I follow Toyota%26039;s service schedule or just follow a rule of thumb when it comes to maintenance?
Follow the schedule %26amp; rule of thumb. You don't have to go to the dealer. Do it yourself or go independent.
  • kill sheep to make ugg boots
  • comment boxes for myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment